Climate change is a major environmental issue. The world is facing climate change level where there is no point of return. This article highlights few facts about climate change and few solutions.
Few facts about climate change are as follows:
- Two hundred & eighty six billion (286,000,000,000) tons of ice is being lost every year in the areas of Greenland and Antarctica
- There have been a reduction in the snow cover in the northern hemisphere in last five decades
- There has been an increase of eight inches (8 in) in the global sea level
- The frequency of extreme weather events i.e. flooding, hurricanes, tornadoes have been on increase.
- There has been an increase of ocean acidity by thirty percent (30%)
- The temperature of upper twenty three hundred (2300) feet of ocean have been raised by 0.4 degree Fahrenheit (°F)
- There has been an increase of 1.6 degree increase in temperature of earth atmosphere due to the continuously increasing level of greenhouse gases.
- Since 2010, there have been five (5) warmest years on record. 2019 as well have been the warmest year. Germany have faced historic high temperature.
- The present-day warming trend on the earth is ten times greater than the past warming trends recorded at the end of an ice age.
- In the Himalayan a glacial retreat mountains have been observed by the scientist
- The intensity and frequency of wildfires have been on increase globally. Amazon rain forest have been burning since 3 weeks up-till now.
- The Indonesian capital city is being moved because it was sinking due to the ever increasing sea levels.
- In last forty year, sixty percent (60%) drop in wild life have been observed.
- The carbon emissions have been increasing on our planet since 2011.
- Tropical forest are facing destruction continuously due to anthropogenic activities
- It is has been estimated by scientists that there are ninety-five percent (95%) chances that climate change is due to anthropogenic activities.
According to scientist climate change can be slowed down to it natural level. Level where everyone gets a chance to adopt to the changing environments. Few of the solutions that you as an individual can adopt to help control climate change are as follows:
- Use public transport instead of using your own cars all the time
- Switch your vehicle to environment friendly fuels e.g. electric or hybrid vehicles
- Invest in the renewable energy e.g wind , solar, biogas, geothermal etc.
- Encourage legislation which discourages the use of fossil fuels.
- Use energy efficient lights, fans, AC invertors and decrease energy losses in the house
- Garments can be washed in cold water instead of hot water to save energy.
- Basic food/vegetables can be grown in your own house (roof gardening)
- Plant trees and also encourage other to plant more and more trees
- Buy local items
- Buy garments, which are more sustainable.
We as individuals needs to do more and change our pattern of life so that we can protect the planet for ourselves and our future generations.